How do I decide whether it is best to buy a Student Select plan or keep my child on my family plan?
In order to make the best decision for your circumstances, it is important to consider several factors. If one or more of the following items applies to your situation, Student Select may be a valuable investment for you:
- The HMO or PPO network for your insurance plan does not extend to the area around your child’s college.
- Your child is, or will soon be, 24 years of age, which frequently translates into no longer being eligible for health insurance coverage under a parent’s plan. There are exceptions, but you should check with your insurance company to determine the specific age limits for your current policy.
- It is less expensive to purchase a Student Select plan than to continue paying for coverage under your current plan. The easiest way to determine if this is the case, get a quote for the Student Select plan of your choice on Benepath’s user friendly quote search engine and then compare that price with how much you currently pay for your child’s portion of health insurance coverage.
On the other hand, if you are currently satisfied with the coverage, cost, and benefits of your current medical plan, a Student Select plan may not be the right choice for you. Additionally, it is important to note that if your child has a pre-existing medical condition, expenses relating to that condition will not be covered by the Student plan until the policy has been in effect for 12 months.
Student Health Insurance FAQs
- Am I only covered while school is in session?
- Are foreign exchange student eligible for coverage?
- Can I add my family members (spouse and dependents) to my policy?
- Do healthcare services for a student insurance plan need to be preauthorized?
- Do I have to wait until I am enrolled in classes to apply for a Student Select plan?
- How do I decide whether it is best to buy a Student Select plan or keep my child on my family plan?
- How many times can my student insurance plan be renewed?
- Is there any obligation for me to buy an insurance plan once I have applied?
- What happens if I transfer schools?
- What if I drop a class, graduate, or drop out of school altogether?
- What is a Student Insurance Plan?
- When does my coverage begin?
- Which doctors or hospitals does a student insurance plan allow me to visit?
- Who can purchase Student health insurance?
- Will I be covered when I go out of state?